From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Publicity (was Native support of the SVG graphic format in Apache OpenOffice.org)
Date Wed, 07 Dec 2011 21:01:41 GMT
Well, then there's the age-old question: "is all publicity good publicity?"

I don't like paper.li much (mostly because they attribute RTs to me rather than the original
tweeter), but here's publicity of a sort: <http://paper.li/baseanswers/1318559392>.

That was found via Google+ to here: <http://lo-portal.us/aoo/>.  More about that here:
<https://plus.google.com/?tab=XX#100933269401814278228/posts>.  And for ODF too: <http://lo-portal.us/>.

And all because this fun guy is in my circles: <https://plus.google.com/?tab=XX#111286111779516013881/posts>.

 - Dennis, still attempting to figure out what LO-client is and whether it has anything to
do with LightsOut.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dennis E. Hamilton [mailto:dennis.hamilton@acm.org]
Sent: Wednesday, December 07, 2011 11:41
To: ooo-marketing@incubator.apache.org
Subject: RE: Publicity (was Native support of the SVG graphic format in Apache OpenOffice.org)

I agree, there are two layers to achievement of visibility.

First there is the authoring and even aggregation of interesting material about Apache OpenOffice.

Blogging, with RSS feeds and syndication notifications, is probably the lowest-friction authoring
case that provides easy commentary and replication.  (Wikis are lower friction but don't disseminate
so well.  YouTube, on the other hand, is a whole different story.)

Then there is chatter via Twitter (my authoring tool does that automatically) and other syndications:
Linked In, Facebook, Google+, etc.  These can broaden the interest and extend the conversation.
 With trackbacks from posts of others, it can become very interesting.

And for starters, someone has to give themselves permission to say something interesting somewhere
that provides the ground for visibility and is easy to publish to.

 - Dennis