From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Publicity (was Native support of the SVG graphic format in Apache OpenOffice.org)
Date Wed, 07 Dec 2011 19:40:37 GMT
I agree, there are two layers to achievement of visibility.

First there is the authoring and even aggregation of interesting material about Apache OpenOffice.

Blogging, with RSS feeds and syndication notifications, is probably the lowest-friction authoring
case that provides easy commentary and replication.  (Wikis are lower friction but don't disseminate
so well.  YouTube, on the other hand, is a whole different story.)

Then there is chatter via Twitter (my authoring tool does that automatically) and other syndications:
Linked In, Facebook, Google+, etc.  These can broaden the interest and extend the conversation.
 With trackbacks from posts of others, it can become very interesting.

And for starters, someone has to give themselves permission to say something interesting somewhere
that provides the ground for visibility and is easy to publish to.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Weir [mailto:robweir@apache.org]
Sent: Wednesday, December 07, 2011 10:33
To: ooo-marketing@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Publicity (was Native support of the SVG graphic format in Apache OpenOffice.org)

On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 1:13 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> An useful low-friction case, for starters, would be use of the OOOUSER Community Wiki.
 It is archived and it permits comments.

> There is also the Roller aggregator.  I have been too lazy to figure out how to set up
a blog category that has a separate RSS feed that goes into the aggregator, but any committer
can do that and create a news stream.  That takes care of the RSS and it puts it on the Apache
site in the Roller aggregation.  (I forget the correct name for that.)

> Also, this moribund blog site that Terry complains about still has the second-highest
number of hits among the Apache Roller blogs.  Those are coming from somewhere.

Partially due to my efforts to cross-promote.  For example, the blog
post on the forum migration was linked to on a Twitter tweet, and then
retweeted 7 times.  That brought a reach of over 2000 users.  I can
also see (thank you, bit.ly) that from Twitter it was posted onto
Facebook and then shared further.

Again, we can diddle with Roller all we want, but unless you have a
connection to Facebook, Twitter and Google+ almost no one is going to
see our posts.  Think of Roller as a publication platform, but don't
expect that it generates its own audience.

-Rob