From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject Distinguishing Apache OpenOffice Releases
Date Sun, 11 Dec 2011 01:50:32 GMT
 I was thinking that, to the extent that AOO is a reboot of OpenOffice.org, it would be useful
to break from the OO.o version-numbering progression in some way, especially because the incubator
releases have a special status.

 I would normally have raised this only on ooo-dev, but it is the connection with automobile
models that had me come here instead.

 I was thinking that the incubator releases could begin their own distinct progression.  My
thought was to use identifiers like 3i4, or even A3i4 (no punctuation marks unless there are
dot releases).  There can also be A3i4-beta, a3i4-rc1, and the like.

I don't know where that goes beyond incubation.  Maybe A3x5 or whatever.  Even A4x for starters,
if it is really that dramatically different when incubation exit occurs.

On the technical side, it should be possible to install all of these side-by-side with each
other and also with any other release built on an OpenOffice.org legacy model.  (There should
be an option to upgrade over previous A3i4, say, but it should not be forced.  That's a matter
of making it easy for someone to back out a release or beta that is a regression for them.)

 - Dennis