Subject Antwort: [DISCUSS] Product Branding
Date Tue, 01 Nov 2011 17:50:20 GMT
Hi there,

what about "Apache Open Office" ?

In my experience most people write "Open Office" or "open office",
with a blank between open and office, if they are searching for somewhat
with OOo in Google or Bing or so ...

Just my 2cent.

Von:    Rob Weir <>
Datum:  01.11.2011 16:50
Betreff:        [DISCUSS] Product Branding

In this thread I'd like to have the 2-week discussion on product
branding.  If there is consensus then we can go forward with that
(assuming Apache Branding VP doesn't object). If there is no consensus
after 2 weeks then we will have a vote.

Main constraint is the name must be "Apache X" for some value of X.
Apache, Apache OpenOffice and Apache Office have been
suggested., without the Apache preface, would not be
allowed per Apache branding rules.

If there is another name you think we should consider, please raise it

My personal preference is for Apache OpenOffice.  I think that this
makes clear the continuation from the previous branding.  This could
be reinforced by adopting a the legacy graphical logo with minimal
changes.  It also avoids confusion with other "OpenOffce" trademarks
that might exist in the UK or the Netherlands.  If adding ".org" to
the name make us unique before, then adding "Apache" in front also
serves to make us unique.

Of course, in casual conversation, users will still refer to
"OpenOffice" as they did before.  This makes the
web site still very relevant for the users.  This is true even without
".org" in the product name.

My one concern with this name is its effect on the existing trademark registration.  If we call ourselves "Apache
OpenOffice" and never as "" what happens to the existing
trademark?  Is it considered abandoned?  Can anyone then use it?  Can
we prevent someone from causing confusion by adopting that name for a
similar product?

To put it in perspective, when Oracle announced that it was
contributing OOo to Apache, within a week a company attempted to
register the trademark "OpenOffice" in the US.  The value of our brand
is significant enough to attract scams.

Considering the past abuse that has been attempted against this brand,
and the likely future repetitions of the same, I think that it is
critical that we have some way to protect ourselves and our users
against confusing misuse of the names OpenOffice,, Open
Office, etc., in the usual variations.

For example,  would Apache actually register "Apache OpenOffice" as a
US trademark?

So in summary, I like the shorter name "Apache OpenOffice" better than
"Apache".  But I just want to make sure we don't lose
the effective benefits and priority of the existing
trademark registration.