From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Product Branding
Date Wed, 02 Nov 2011 11:37:55 GMT
On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 6:12 PM, Terry <terauck-aoomark@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> I agree that ownership of the 'OpenOffice.org' brand should be preserved; allowing someone
else to use it would create confusion.

It is possible to have several trademarks in use at the same time.
You see that in complex branding strategies for consumer products,
where image is very important.  For example, the Coca Cola corporation
protects "Coca Cola" (of course) but also "Coke" and several slogans
like "Can't beat the real thing" and "I'd like to buy the world a
Coke".  I assume the corporation has complex internal rules that
determine how advertisers use use each name in the proper context.

Would something like this make sense for OpenOffice?  Is there a way
to rationalize the use of both names?  Or would that cause confusion
among our own users?

"Apache OpenOffice for your organization:  OpenOffice.org"

-Rob

> I also prefer that '.org' be dropped from the product name.  My suggestion is that legal
advice be obtained (ASAP) on how (if at all) the OO.o brand can be preserved without using
it as the product name.  Perhaps use as a domain name would suffice.  Perhaps acknowledging
OO.o as the forbear of the new brand would suffice.