From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Product Branding
Date Sat, 05 Nov 2011 22:22:21 GMT
On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 2:14 PM, Marcus (OOo) <marcus.mail@wtnet.de> wrote:
> (Without to bring in any judgement)
>
> Google hits:
>
> OpenOffice.org           4,770,000
> OpenOffice              41,900,000
> Open Office             16,100,000
>
> Apache OpenOffice.org      171,000
> Apache OpenOffice           58,600
> Apache Open Office         183,000
> Apache Office               29,100

I don't trust the Google numbers very much.  The Google search engine
is too smart.  They take your query and match it against variations of
those terms.  So a query for "Open Office" might also match "Open the
office", etc.  So it is tricky to interpret the numbers.

I've taken a different approach, by looking at Wikipedia page hits.
Since Wikipedia has hard-coded redirect rules for variations of the
name, that all redirect to the OpenOffice.org page, you can look at
the page hits for the redirect pages to see how frequently users typed
in those variations.  Clever, eh?

I had a python script crunch through the page hit data for the English
Wikipedia for October, around 250 GB of data.  With the caution that
this might be different for other languages, here is what I see:

OpenOffice.org 53943
Openoffice.org 417
openoffice.org 62

Open Office 1430
Open office 2640
open office 12

OpenOffice 683
Openoffice 2546
openoffice 29

Ignore the very large count for "OpenOffice.org".  That is because
that page is the direct target for many other Wikipedia pages as well
as external links that point to it.  So that number is a mixture of
user queries and users navigating to that page via hyperlinks.  I
don't see how to determine how many users actually typed the query
"OpenOffice.org" in Wikipedia.

But look at the variation that is with initial captial letter followed
by lowercase.  These are probably all user-typed queries:

Openoffice.org 417
Open office 2640
Openoffice 2546

Of course, we should not choose a brand merely on how Wikipedia users
capitalize the name  They might just be lazy when entering a query.

Regards,

-Rob