From Rob Weir <>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Product Branding
Date Sun, 06 Nov 2011 00:19:57 GMT
On Sat, Nov 5, 2011 at 7:48 PM, Andrea Pescetti <> wrote:
> On 01/11/2011 Rob Weir wrote:
>> Apache, Apache OpenOffice and Apache Office have been
>> suggested., without the Apache preface, would not be
>> allowed per Apache branding rules.
> Since it seems that the domain was registered just days
> after the announcement of the Apache podling, is it
> reasonable that we can get it transferred to the project?

That is not us.  It is a cyber-squatter.  The same owner of also owns "", for example.   In any
case, since there is no website at that domain right now, there is no
problem yet.

The naming pattern for Apache websites is:
So,, etc.  So our final
website, after we graduate, could be something like:

or similar.

> Even though I recognize that the previous suggestions are the most natural
> ones, settling on a name that corresponds to a domain not affiliated with
> the project could be misleading. The project will surely use the
> and domains, but securing is important
> to avoid confusion/misuse.

If someone tried to put up a confusing, non Apache website at, then we could probably get it shut down.  But I
don't think it is worth our attention at this point.

>> So in summary, I like the shorter name "Apache OpenOffice" better than
>> "Apache".  But I just want to make sure we don't lose
>> the effective benefits and priority of the existing
>> trademark registration.
> "Apache" doesn't sound bad to me. Actually, the word "Apache"
> gets in the way, since this will seem like a variant of (like
> ", Apache edition"). But proper communication will be key
> here.
> Regards,
>  Andrea.

View raw message