From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Product Branding
Date Wed, 02 Nov 2011 23:32:37 GMT
On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 6:14 PM, Terry <terauck-aoomark@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> I gather that what you want to achieve is preservation of the 'name' 'OpenOffice.org'
as a trademark and as an identifier.  Eventually people will know that the Apache product
is derived from the old openoffice.org software but the need to protect the old trademark
will persist.

It is one option.  I think it is worth discussing.  It might be a
reasonable compromise that we can achieve consensus on, to use both
names in some coherent way, like "Coca-Cola" and "Coke" are both
trademarks for the same thing.

> I am hesitant to say that the Apache product is the software formerly known as openoffice.org
because LibreOffice can also make that claim.  I gather that LibreOffice folk regard the
Apache product as another fork of OpenOffice.org.  I'm not certain of the history but I understand
that LibreOffice is the former go-oo but that was a fork of oo.o anyway.

I would not hesitate to say that Apache is based on OpenOffice.org.
It is true statement.  If LO is offended by true statements than that
is their problem, not ours.

> What about a statement along the lines "openoffice.org and Apache Open Office[/Office/Suite]
are {registered ?} trademarks of the Apache Software Foundation which produces Apache Open
Office {derived from oo.o} ?"  Something like that could be used as a subtitle.

That sounds like a legal notice.  I think we want to discuss first the
branding strategy.  Once we agree on that the legal notice will follow
trivially.

In any case, the important question is how we would use both
trademarks in our marketing efforts.  Merely saying the trademarks
exist is not really using them.  If we're not really using
OpenOffice.org as a trademark then eventually (3 years I think) it is
considered abandoned.

-Rob

> Terry

Can anyone then use