From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Product Branding
Date Tue, 01 Nov 2011 18:47:15 GMT
On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 2:13 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Nov 1, 2011, at 8:50 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
<snip>

>> My one concern with this name is its effect on the existing
>> OpenOffice.org trademark registration.  If we call ourselves "Apache
>> OpenOffice" and never as "OpenOffice.org" what happens to the existing
>> trademark?  Is it considered abandoned?  Can anyone then use it?  Can
>> we prevent someone from causing confusion by adopting that name for a
>> similar product?
>
> If we use the apache.openoffice.org url will that be enough to protect the trademark
even if the product is Apache OpenOffice?

IANAL, but my understanding is a trademark is given for a particular
field of use.  For "OpenOffice.org" the trademark is for:

"Computer software for use in database management, for use as a
spreadsheet, for word processing, that may be downloaded from a global
computer network; computer programs, namely, presentation graphics
programs, that may be downloaded from a global computer network;
software for processing images, graphics and text, that may be
downloaded from a global computer network; software for typesetting of
equations and formulae, that may be downloaded from a global computer
network. FIRST USE: 20011001. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20011001"

So I'm not sure whether calling the URL "openoffice.org" is sufficient
to continue our claim on openoffice.org.  I'm not saying it isn't  I
just don't know.