From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Can the OpenOffice.org Site be a Haven for All?
Date Thu, 03 Nov 2011 12:25:37 GMT
On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 9:53 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton <orcmid@apache.org> wrote:
> Marcus raises an issue that has been lurking in the back of my head since openoffice.org
migration efforts began to bear fruit.

> It has been common to express our intention that the http:// *.openoffice.org site be
an umbrella or common ground (better perhaps: "bridge") for the sibling efforts that share
a common heritage in the original StarOffice and OpenOffice.org software.

> I don't think there has been attention on the reality of making the site hospitable in
that respect.  I don't know that it can be a meaningful umbrella, especially when the branding
is as one-sided as it is and will continue to be, financial contributions are solicited, etc.
 Since siblings also seek brand recognition for their own offerings, http:// *.openoffice.org
is perhaps not multi-faceted enough, especially since there is not and will not be anything
like shared control.

Take a look at other Apache projects.  For example, look at the
Subversion binary package downloads:

http://subversion.apache.org/packages.html

So it is perfectly acceptable, with suitable disclaimers, to have
links to different derived versions, ports, enhanced versions, etc.,
with direct links to their external download sites.  This is a good
way to promote the overall ecosystem.

However, I don't think it is appropriate to link to products that are
not derived from Apache OpenOffice.  Or at least not link to them in
the same way, or to give them the same prominence.

> Still, the OpenOffice.org Forums, <http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/>,
proclaim their ecumenical intentions, indirectly, in their banner.  And maybe it is an ecumenical
reciprocity that is to be hoped for.  Somehow, there needs to be polite recognition of each
other and cooperation with regard to seeing that our flocks are at home wherever they choose
to seek sustenance and support.  It would be wonderful were that apparent in our marketing
voice and in how the existence of siblings is expressed and their users encouraged.

> It seems that the likely case is that there will be friendly cross-connection (sort of
the old link-exchange idea) and folks will tend to be asking and answering questions about
one release or the other in various places.  There are also some non-affiliated sites that
provide substantial support to our various users, including support for some spread of interoperability
considerations among the siblings and also with products from Redmond, Cupertino, Mountain
View, Beijing and beyond.  (E.g., I recently saw some fascinating statistics for <http://openoffice.info/>.
 The atmosphere of some forums/lists more inhospitable to user-issues regarding interop with
non-ODF applications than others.  And these different support centers do exhibit a certain
competitiveness with respect to each other from time to time.)