From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Product Branding
Date Thu, 03 Nov 2011 11:59:19 GMT
On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 8:19 PM, Marcus (OOo) <marcus.mail@wtnet.de> wrote:
> Am 11/03/2011 12:32 AM, schrieb Rob Weir:
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 6:14 PM, Terry<terauck-aoomark@yahoo.com.au>
>>  wrote:
>>>
>>> I gather that what you want to achieve is preservation of the 'name'
>>> 'OpenOffice.org' as a trademark and as an identifier.  Eventually people
>>> will know that the Apache product is derived from the old openoffice.org
>>> software but the need to protect the old trademark will persist.
>>>

>> It is one option.  I think it is worth discussing.  It might be a
>> reasonable compromise that we can achieve consensus on, to use both
>> names in some coherent way, like "Coca-Cola" and "Coke" are both
>> trademarks for the same thing.
>
> I'm pretty sure we can find a way to use both.
>
>>> I am hesitant to say that the Apache product is the software formerly
>>> known as openoffice.org because LibreOffice can also make that claim.  I
>>> gather that LibreOffice folk regard the Apache product as another fork of
>>> OpenOffice.org.  I'm not certain of the history but I understand that
>>> LibreOffice is the former go-oo but that was a fork of oo.o anyway.
>>>

>> I would not hesitate to say that Apache is based on OpenOffice.org.
>> It is true statement.  If LO is offended by true statements than that
>> is their problem, not ours.
>
> Yes, the history is done and the well-known fact are certain. But we can
> change the future and our way and behavior how to work together.
>
>>> What about a statement along the lines "openoffice.org and Apache Open
>>> Office[/Office/Suite] are {registered ?} trademarks of the Apache Software
>>> Foundation which produces Apache Open Office {derived from oo.o} ?"
>>>  Something like that could be used as a subtitle.
>>>

>> That sounds like a legal notice.  I think we want to discuss first the
>> branding strategy.  Once we agree on that the legal notice will follow
>> trivially.
>>
>> In any case, the important question is how we would use both
>> trademarks in our marketing efforts.  Merely saying the trademarks
>> exist is not really using them.  If we're not really using
>> OpenOffice.org as a trademark then eventually (3 years I think) it is
>> considered abandoned.
>
> I repeat my suggestion on this list:
>
> Let's build a roof on "www.openoffice.org" for all Office suites that are
> based on OpenOffice.org. Then the trademark is used often enough to keep the
> rights reserved.

I don't think that would be considered a use of the trademark.  Why?
Because we do not own a trademark for a website.  The trademark is
specifically registered for:

"Computer software for use in database management, for use as a
spreadsheet, for word processing, that may be downloaded from a global
computer network; computer programs, namely, presentation graphics
programs, that may be downloaded from a global computer network;
software for processing images, graphics and text, that may be
downloaded from a global computer network; software for typesetting of
equations and formulae, that may be downloaded from a global computer
network. "

So the registered trademark is for the software, not for the website.

> - and -
>
> Every peer should be happy as they can use this portal to give some
> information, to be a part of the Office family and to link back to their
> real project and product home.
>
> Marcus

 Can