From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: OpenOffice.org G+ Page
Date Tue, 08 Nov 2011 01:08:29 GMT
On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 6:48 PM, Alexandro Colorado <jza@openoffice.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 5:43 PM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 6:38 PM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>> >>

>> > Haha.  Great minds think alike.
>> >

>> Proposal:  Let's wait another day or two, and see who else has already
>> created a page.  Then we can sort this out and decide what we want to
>> do.
>>
>> From what I can understand, a page can be verified as authoritative if
>> it is linked to from the project's home page.  So that will force us
>> to pick a single one.
>>

> What happens if multiple pages point to the projects homepage?

I think that is allowed.  But I'm reading that Google will give a more
prominent placement in search results to the Google+ Page that is
linked to from the external website.  In other words you want to have
the link go in both directions.  Google+ page links to openoffice.org
(already done), but also openoffice.org links to the Google+ Page.
That provides the validation that the page is the authoritative page.