From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Product Branding
Date Tue, 01 Nov 2011 18:13:49 GMT

On Nov 1, 2011, at 8:50 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

> In this thread I'd like to have the 2-week discussion on product
> branding.  If there is consensus then we can go forward with that
> (assuming Apache Branding VP doesn't object). If there is no consensus
> after 2 weeks then we will have a vote.
>
> Main constraint is the name must be "Apache X" for some value of X.
> Apache OpenOffice.org, Apache OpenOffice and Apache Office have been
> suggested.  OpenOffice.org, without the Apache preface, would not be
> allowed per Apache branding rules.
>
> If there is another name you think we should consider, please raise it soon.
>
> My personal preference is for Apache OpenOffice.  I think that this
> makes clear the continuation from the previous branding.  This could
> be reinforced by adopting a the legacy graphical logo with minimal
> changes.  It also avoids confusion with other "OpenOffce" trademarks
> that might exist in the UK or the Netherlands.  If adding ".org" to
> the name make us unique before, then adding "Apache" in front also
> serves to make us unique.
>
> Of course, in casual conversation, users will still refer to
> "OpenOffice" as they did before.  This makes the www.openoffice.org
> web site still very relevant for the users.  This is true even without
> ".org" in the product name.

We can make http://apache.openoffice.org a synonym for http://www.openoffice.org and then
prefer it within the site.

> My one concern with this name is its effect on the existing
> OpenOffice.org trademark registration.  If we call ourselves "Apache
> OpenOffice" and never as "OpenOffice.org" what happens to the existing
> trademark?  Is it considered abandoned?  Can anyone then use it?  Can
> we prevent someone from causing confusion by adopting that name for a
> similar product?

If we use the apache.openoffice.org url will that be enough to protect the trademark even
if the product is Apache OpenOffice?

Apache is a trademark.

OpenOffice.org is a registered trademark.

OpenOffice could be a trademark, just not in all places. If we acknowledge the other OpenOffice
trademark holders would that be sufficient when the full trademark is Apache OpenOffice?

Or would servicemark be the way out?

> To put it in perspective, when Oracle announced that it was
> contributing OOo to Apache, within a week a company attempted to
> register the trademark "OpenOffice" in the US.  The value of our brand
> is significant enough to attract scams.
>
> Considering the past abuse that has been attempted against this brand,
> and the likely future repetitions of the same, I think that it is
> critical that we have some way to protect ourselves and our users
> against confusing misuse of the names OpenOffice, OpenOffice.org, Open
> Office, etc., in the usual variations.
>
> For example,  would Apache actually register "Apache OpenOffice" as a
> US trademark?
>
> So in summary, I like the shorter name "Apache OpenOffice" better than
> "Apache OpenOffice.org".  But I just want to make sure we don't lose
> the effective benefits and priority of the existing OpenOffice.org
> trademark registration.

I agree. To me it seems like we need to put together questions to be sent to trademarks@a.o

Regards,
Dave