From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Product Branding
Date Tue, 01 Nov 2011 20:16:10 GMT

On Nov 1, 2011, at 12:25 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:

> Dave,
>
> I don't know that ASF would go for that.  Just not certain.
>
> However, there needs to be consideration for the graduated project name too.
> It becomes a subdomain of apache.org. It looks like, at the moment, it would
> default to
>
> http:// openofficeorg.apache.org
>
> though I trust that could be changed as well.

When we graduate the svn tree for the podling site is changed.

All files in ooo/site/trunk/content/openofficeorg/* are moved up a level and s/\/openofficeorg//g
applied to all the content. Then additional changes for PPMC to PMC are applied.

The subdomain is whatever we choose on graduation. I'm not sure that it is policy that it
must slavishly follow the project name. From watching the creation of ooo-site it looks like
it is a parameter.

Apache OpenOffice would generally be openoffice.apache.org, but maybe it could be ooo.apache.org.

Apache OpenOffice.org could possibly be openoffice.apache.org and not necessarily openofficeorg.apache.org.

With a domain alias It should be possible for both to be used.

When our discussion is done we either have consensus or we come up with options. If it comes
down to it, I don't think we want to have a VOTE that includes an unacceptable plan as a choice.
So, either way we will need confirmation from trademarks@a.o regarding plan which change the
name from Apache OpenOffice.org.

Regards,
Dave