From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Product Branding
Date Wed, 09 Nov 2011 05:48:36 GMT
On 2011-11-05 4:48 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> On 01/11/2011 Rob Weir wrote:
>> Apache OpenOffice.org, Apache OpenOffice and Apache Office have been
>> suggested. OpenOffice.org, without the Apache preface, would not be
>> allowed per Apache branding rules.
>
> Since it seems that the apacheopenoffice.org domain was registered just
> days after the announcement of the Apache OpenOffice.org podling, is it
> reasonable that we can get it transferred to the project?

If the PPMC has specific legal or brand (or infrastructure) related
questions, they should be brought to the appropriate mailing lists.
Simply because I or Sam Ruby or some infrastructure individuals
participate from time to time on the ooo* mailing lists does not mean
that we necessarily track every conversation or expect that it's an
action item for other Apache committees.

> Even though I recognize that the previous suggestions are the most
> natural ones, settling on a name that corresponds to a domain not
> affiliated with the project could be misleading. The project will surely
> use the apache.org and openoffice.org domains, but securing
> apacheopenoffice.org is important to avoid confusion/misuse.
>
>> So in summary, I like the shorter name "Apache OpenOffice" better than
>> "Apache OpenOffice.org". But I just want to make sure we don't lose
>> the effective benefits and priority of the existing OpenOffice.org
>> trademark registration.
>
> "Apache OpenOffice.org" doesn't sound bad to me. Actually, the word
> "Apache" gets in the way, since this will seem like a variant of
> OpenOffice.org (like "OpenOffice.org, Apache edition"). But proper
> communication will be key here.

Having "Apache" at the start of the name is required by the Apache
Project Branding requirements.

- Shane