From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@openoffice.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Product Branding
Date Sat, 05 Nov 2011 23:48:07 GMT
On 01/11/2011 Rob Weir wrote:
> Apache OpenOffice.org, Apache OpenOffice and Apache Office have been
> suggested.  OpenOffice.org, without the Apache preface, would not be
> allowed per Apache branding rules.

Since it seems that the apacheopenoffice.org domain was registered just
days after the announcement of the Apache OpenOffice.org podling, is it
reasonable that we can get it transferred to the project?

Even though I recognize that the previous suggestions are the most
natural ones, settling on a name that corresponds to a domain not
affiliated with the project could be misleading. The project will surely
use the apache.org and openoffice.org domains, but securing
apacheopenoffice.org is important to avoid confusion/misuse.

> So in summary, I like the shorter name "Apache OpenOffice" better than
> "Apache OpenOffice.org".  But I just want to make sure we don't lose
> the effective benefits and priority of the existing OpenOffice.org
> trademark registration.

"Apache OpenOffice.org" doesn't sound bad to me. Actually, the word
"Apache" gets in the way, since this will seem like a variant of
OpenOffice.org (like "OpenOffice.org, Apache edition"). But proper
communication will be key here.

Regards,
   Andrea.