From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Product Branding
Date Sat, 05 Nov 2011 23:41:23 GMT
Am 11/05/2011 11:22 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
> On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 2:14 PM, Marcus (OOo)<marcus.mail@wtnet.de>  wrote:
>> (Without to bring in any judgement)
>>
>> Google hits:
>>
>> OpenOffice.org           4,770,000
>> OpenOffice              41,900,000
>> Open Office             16,100,000
>>
>> Apache OpenOffice.org      171,000
>> Apache OpenOffice           58,600
>> Apache Open Office         183,000
>> Apache Office               29,100
>>

> I don't trust the Google numbers very much.  The Google search engine
> is too smart.  They take your query and match it against variations of
> those terms.  So a query for "Open Office" might also match "Open the
> office", etc.  So it is tricky to interpret the numbers.

In the search results only "Open Office" was found as I've used the
quotes as search term. So, the numbers reflect very well the found
results. However, I don't know how much we should trust them.

> I've taken a different approach, by looking at Wikipedia page hits.
> Since Wikipedia has hard-coded redirect rules for variations of the
> name, that all redirect to the OpenOffice.org page, you can look at
> the page hits for the redirect pages to see how frequently users typed
> in those variations.  Clever, eh?
>
> I had a python script crunch through the page hit data for the English
> Wikipedia for October, around 250 GB of data.  With the caution that
> this might be different for other languages, here is what I see:
>
> OpenOffice.org 53943
> Openoffice.org 417
> openoffice.org 62
>
> Open Office 1430
> Open office 2640
> open office 12
>
> OpenOffice 683
> Openoffice 2546
> openoffice 29
>
> Ignore the very large count for "OpenOffice.org".  That is because
> that page is the direct target for many other Wikipedia pages as well
> as external links that point to it.  So that number is a mixture of
> user queries and users navigating to that page via hyperlinks.  I
> don't see how to determine how many users actually typed the query
> "OpenOffice.org" in Wikipedia.
>
> But look at the variation that is with initial captial letter followed
> by lowercase.  These are probably all user-typed queries:
>
> Openoffice.org 417
> Open office 2640
> Openoffice 2546
>
> Of course, we should not choose a brand merely on how Wikipedia users
> capitalize the name  They might just be lazy when entering a query.

Of course we should look for our users and their wishes. But I think
this should have limits and I don't want a product name like "Open
office" or "Open office.Org". I think we should think for ourselves what
makes sense and looks/writes fine.

Marcus