From J├╝rgen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Product Branding
Date Fri, 04 Nov 2011 08:16:54 GMT
On 11/4/11 12:54 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> +1 - What he said.
>
> There is an opportunity to be civil, generous, and respectful of all of the other releases
that share ancestry with the original OpenOfice.org (and not).

> It appears that, possibly apart from the OpenOffice.org Forums and support of previous
OO.o releases (also having user support elsewhere), there's no sensible way to provide an
umbrella.  Maybe a loosely-connected federation where each organization focuses primarily
on developing and supporting their own releases will work.  But it is clear that branding
is to be focused on the releases of particular projects, and there is no effective way to
have closer alignment.

> Each project is separately responsible for its sites and the integrity of their operation.

exactly and we have so many work in front of us to setup our Apache
project and prepare a first release that we should not spent energy in
an umbrella portal that helps to promote other derivatives that has only
a common code history until today. But nobody knows yet if there is a
common base tomorrow. The webpage and the well known relation with the
product OpenOffice.org and the brand is our advantage and we should use
it to promote our project. Nothing else for now, everything else can be
reconsidered at a later time if it's clear that these products are based
on the Apache code base. And if they help to improve this common code
base by contributions.

Give me one reason why we should support a project that only take our
code or pieces of our code and give nothing back?

In all other areas where we see real collaboration it is fine to
mentioned this in a proper way.

Please let us focus here on the marketing list on marketing strategies
to promote our project and product. How can we use the new media and
social networks for our purpose most effective.

Juergen