From Shane Curcuru <a...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Product Branding
Date Thu, 03 Nov 2011 01:06:24 GMT
Indeed, figure out what you want the brand to be going forward, and the
legal notices can be derived from that.

Given that the ASF owns various registrations of "openoffice.org", I
would guess (but again, someday we should ask the lawyers) that our
continued use of the openoffice.org domain and our continued hosting of
some of the past OOo product builds would be sufficient to keep the mark
live.  The key issue with ownership of trademarks is the actual *use* of
the mark to denote to the public your specific software product or service.

But seriously, once we're talking several years or so out, how much will
the project really care about the registration of the previous
trademark?  As we look to the future, we should be thinking about what
we want this Apache project to become, and focus on that.

- Shane