From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Product Branding
Date Wed, 02 Nov 2011 23:13:50 GMT

On Nov 2, 2011, at 3:14 PM, Terry wrote:

> I gather that what you want to achieve is preservation of the 'name' 'OpenOffice.org'
as a trademark and as an identifier.  Eventually people will know that the Apache product
is derived from the old openoffice.org software but the need to protect the old trademark
will persist.

> I am hesitant to say that the Apache product is the software formerly known as openoffice.org
because LibreOffice can also make that claim.  I gather that LibreOffice folk regard the Apache
product as another fork of OpenOffice.org.  I'm not certain of the history but I understand
that LibreOffice is the former go-oo but that was a fork of oo.o anyway.

Apparently calling LO anything other than a Peer offends some. Using the term Peer implies
no hierarchical relationship and wrestling with siblings is avoided.

> What about a statement along the lines "openoffice.org and Apache Open Office[/Office/Suite]
are {registered ?} trademarks of the Apache Software Foundation which produces Apache Open
Office {derived from oo.o} ?"  Something like that could be used as a subtitle.

The text is currently:

Apache and the Apache feather logos are trademarks of The Apache Software Foundation.
OpenOffice.org and the seagull logo are registered trademarks of The Apache Software Foundation.

Other names appearing on the site may be trademarks of their respective owners.

Following your suggestion maybe this is it:

Apache, "Apache OpenOffice" and the Apache feather logos are trademarks of The Apache Software
Foundation.
OpenOffice.org and the seagull logo are registered trademarks of The Apache Software Foundation.

OpenOffice is a trademark of The Apache Software Foundation in most jurisdictions.
Other names appearing on the site may be trademarks of their respective owners.

Regards,
Dave