From Terry <terauck-aoom...@yahoo.com.au>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Product Branding
Date Fri, 04 Nov 2011 22:31:41 GMT
Comments inserted inline:

----- Original Message -----

Yes, 'openoffice' seems to be used only as a website name.  I have
no idea whether that presents a problem or not but the existence of that
 website was evidently the reason for the software being called
'OpenOffice.org' and has led to some disquiet among members of the
ooo-dev list and possibly members of this list (I forget where all the
emails were).

> In any case, I'd recommend that we pick our top 2 or 3 preferred names
> and then get a legal and branding opinion on them.  Unless there is
> something already called exactly "Apache OpenOffice" then I don't
> think we should eliminate it.  We can still say it is our preference
> and send it on for further review.  But it might make sense, when we
> vote, to vote on our top 2 or 3 preferences, in case the most popular
> choice is unavailable.

I agree.  We don't have time, I think, to look at all the logos.  They seem to be scattered
about the openoffice.org domain.  The product name is the main thing to be settled.  My
top 3, in order of preference, are 'Apache Open Office', 'Apache OpenOffice' and 'Apache Office'.
I recall mention being made here that 'open office' is searched on Google much more than 'openoffice'.

Terry