From Terry <>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Product Branding
Date Wed, 02 Nov 2011 22:14:40 GMT
I gather that what you want to achieve is preservation of the 'name' '' as a
trademark and as an identifier.  Eventually people will know that the Apache product is derived
from the old software but the need to protect the old trademark will persist.

I am hesitant to say that the Apache product is the software formerly known as
because LibreOffice can also make that claim.  I gather that LibreOffice folk regard the
Apache product as another fork of  I'm not certain of the history but I understand
that LibreOffice is the former go-oo but that was a fork of oo.o anyway.

What about a statement along the lines " and Apache Open Office[/Office/Suite]
are {registered ?} trademarks of the Apache Software Foundation which produces Apache Open
Office {derived from oo.o} ?"  Something like that could be used as a subtitle.