From Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>
Subject Re: Process for deciding on branding strategy for our first release
Date Tue, 01 Nov 2011 00:51:52 GMT

On 1 Nov 2011, at 00:44, Nóirín Plunkett wrote:

> My understanding is that this "oddity" came about because the
> "OpenOffice" trademark is owned by another group (or groups?) in
> various countries.

That was indeed the case, but the number of places where there is an overlapping registration
has become very small due to great work by the Sun trademark law team over the last few years.

> I expect that we would require at least some
> confidence that they wouldn't give us grief, if we were to call the
> project Apache OpenOffice. (We'd also have to be careful to always use
> the full name, and not to abbreviate to "OpenOffice")

While I'd expect project members acting in an official capacity to be very careful with how
they cite the project name anyway (or face the Wrath of Shane), abbreviating the name to "Open
Office" or variants has been common casual usage for years already with little consequence.

S.