From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <orc...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] Product Branding
Date Thu, 03 Nov 2011 01:53:46 GMT
I agree with Marcus about the umbrella use of the site.  However, I think it
is important to stop crafting trademark notices.  There should be review of
the notices that are being put at the bottom of http:// *.openoffice.org pages
as site cutover happens, but it can only be what the legal and trademark folks
at ASF say is the proper wording.

I recommend review of <http://ooo-site.apache.org> (not the intended public
URL - this is a place for reviewing of migrated content before the actual
cut-over of http:// *.openoffice.org content to Apache custody). What Dave has
at the bottom 3 lines seems quite close to factual, pending legal and
trademark review. There also needs to be review of whether "registered
trademark" and "trademark" and (r) vs TM are properly used with respect to
Apache marks (including OpenOffice.org now) before live cut-over.

There is also a rather long textual explanation proposed to be at the bottom
of such pages.  Review of that here would be valuable, keeping in mind that it
must be all about the podling and incubation for now and speaking of a
"product" of the incubator podling may be a bit dodgy.

It might be cleaner to do that with fewer words and use the feather+incubator
image in the top banner to link to the Apache OpenOffice.org Podling Status
page.  A text link in the bottom note would work also. It might be easier to
keep that target page maintained and updated over time, along with providing
the translations that folks are asking for as well. The note could be
translated, perhaps.  I think translating trademark notices is trickier.  I
notice that Oracle kept the bottom banner of pages in English regardless of
the page content language.  See, e.g., <http://es.openoffice.org/>.

 - Dennis