From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [domains]
Date Fri, 28 Oct 2011 00:45:59 GMT
On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 8:07 PM, drew <drew@baseanswers.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-10-27 at 19:54 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 6:31 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
>> > Back in August Shane Curcuru announced the names of domains that Oracle transferred
to the ASF.

>> > http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-ooo-dev/201108.mbox/%3C4E4C0E94.4010701%40shanecurcuru.org%3E
>> >
>> > But there is a whole long list of other domains. There was some investigation
which is in the thread..

>> > Since there is now a marketing list, what should the project do about all of
the domains other than openoffice.org?

>> Are any of these actually used?  Or where they just defensive
>> registrations?   I thought we used subdomains for the real sites,
>> e.g., http://de.openoffice.org
>
> Some of them, at least, were awarded to Sun Microsystems after claiming
> copyright infringement IIRC - they where being used to sell copies of
> OpenOffice.org.

OK.  But there are nearly an infinite number of variations of domain
name likes that.  We can't register them all.  Our strongest defense
is to make sure that AOOo is well known and that Google/Bing searches
for likely keywords lead users to our website, i.e., we're #1 for the
queries:

- openoffice
- open office
- free office
- open source office
- open source spreadsheet

etc.  (We should probably make a list and track our performance)

As for that list of domain names, there is no harm just redirecting
them all to the appropriate AOOo websites. But is it worth the
registrar expenses?

-Rob