From Alexandro Colorado <>
Subject Re: Process for deciding on branding strategy for our first release
Date Mon, 31 Oct 2011 19:32:57 GMT
On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 1:15 PM, Rob Weir <> wrote:

> Looking at the dev work that remains, I think we need to move forward
> on this with deliberate speed.  This impacts both the branding on our
> 3.4 release, as well as the branding on our web sites, both of which
> are making strong progress.
> I think there are two main elements we need to decide on:
> 1) Product name:  Apache OpenOffice, Apache or something
> else
> 2) Logo, for use on website, product splash screen etc.
> I propose that we discuss these topics on the ooo-marketing for two
> weeks, until November 14th.  If there is consensus on these questions
> then we will go forward to implement that consensus.  But if there is
> no consensus by the 14th, then we will have a 72-hour vote of PPMC
> members to decide among the alternatives.
> Of course, it is better to reach consensus on such questions, but a
> product name is not optional, so we need to resolve these questions
> one way or another.
> Any objections to this general approach and time frame?
> -Rob

My largest issue is basically the way is being handled this voting, usually
it seems that is not as easily traceable as a poll. Mailing list can easily
bury vote by just having chatty people or flamewars.
I rather see the forum as a more dynamic way to reach consensus like they
do with a voting poll separate from the overall discussion why is a good
idea or not. Also I would miss the ability to change the voting in case the
voter realize that he has a change of heart. I do like the timeline.
So I would propose a decision making framework to account vote, change
votes, and easily browse/review overall group decisions.

*Alexandro Colorado*
** EspaƱol
fingerprint: E62B CF77 1BEA 0749 C0B8 50B9 3DE6 A84A 68D0 72E6