From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [domains]
Date Fri, 28 Oct 2011 22:35:31 GMT

On Oct 28, 2011, at 3:22 PM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 5:37 PM, Andrea Pescetti
> <pescetti@openoffice.org> wrote:
>> Rob Weir wrote:
>>>
>>> As for that list of domain names, there is no harm just redirecting
>>> them all to the appropriate AOOo websites. But is it worth the
>>> registrar expenses?
>>
>> It is probably worth it, because the registrar expenses are not very high
>> (probably 5-10 USD per domain) but this shows commitment to end users.
>>

> Shows who?  Most people directly involved in the project did not know
> about these domains.  I assume even fewer users know about them.  So
> no one really sees our commitment.

I've seen user posts about "I bought support and how come the list is not giving it to me".

Numerous people have fraudulently abused users with offers to support. They do not let people
know what they can get for free.

> Maybe there is a way we can make users aware of this?  Maybe a page on
> our commitment to protect the trademarks and information on how users
> can ensure that they are downloading "genuine OpenOffice"?  We do have
> technical means to protect users, with checksums, but this is not
> something that an average user will understand.

Exactly. Think of explaining it to a 70 year old. People are paying for a download that is
free. Since they paid money they are upset when they don't get service.

> But we should keep in mind that it is perfectly acceptable for someone
> to take Apache OpenOffice, rebuild it, extend it, redistribute it on
> another web site and even to sell it.  The Apache license allows this.
> But the product they sell would not be called "OpenOffice.org" use
> the trademarked logo or use any name or logo that would be confused
> with our trademarks,

Yup. Since Sun/Oracle was able to seize some of these domains clearly they were in violation.

>> Of course this cannot be totally effective, since there are thousands of
>> domain name variants that can be used and "squatted" for commercial purposes
>> by people external to the project; but the issue of "unofficial" download
>> sites is very important to users and, if the project manages to secure at
>> least this symbolic list of domain names and redirect them to the official
>> site, it shows that it cares about a problem that has nothing to do with
>> development but that users perceive as important.

Perhaps we need to have a discussion with Shane about who to contact when we detect an abusive
website, blog, or social media account. The ASF does have lawyers. It's one of the areas where
donations go.

Regards,
Dave