From Terry <terauck-aoomar...@yahoo.com.au>
Subject Re: Branding of the 3.4 release
Date Thu, 27 Oct 2011 00:15:07 GMT
It seems to me that there is no mystery about the name.  'OpenOffice' is a familiar term.
'OpenOffice.org' was used only in public writing and then only because another entity owned
the term 'OpenOffice'.  There is no longer a need to use '.org' because any generic term
used to describe the software will be coupled with 'Apache'.

The term 'openoffice.org' could be used as a keyword on web pages.  Any reference to 'Apache
Office' or 'Apache OpenOffice' can be accompanied by a reference to the origin of the software
as 'OpenOffice.org'.  After a few years, such accompaniment may no longer be required.

Regarding the choice between 'Apache Office' and 'Apache OpenOffice', I know from years spent
visiting forums and mailing lists that people commonly refer to the software as 'OpenOffice'.
The use of that term in conjunction with 'Apache' identifies the software for many people.

Terry