incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Joost Andrae <Joost.And...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Cleanup installation files, make them more modular
Date Sat, 27 Oct 2012 07:27:37 GMT
Hi Marcus,

Am 26.10.2012 23:06, schrieb Marcus (OOo):
> I've modified the subject as I think this topic deserves its own, new
> thread.

that is a good idea.

> Am 10/26/2012 07:28 PM, schrieb Ariel Constenla-Haile:
>> On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 05:27:41PM +0200, J├╝rgen Schmidt wrote:
>>
>> Once thing to pay attention for the next release is the increasing size:
>> more than 14 Gb for Linux packages only. This is going to be even more,
>> as more languages are added. INFRA has already complained after the
>> first release (can't find the message right now) about the size of our
>> dist/ folder, so we must think about a solution, before they complain
>> once the next release is uploaded.
>
> IMHO you can think and try whatever you want. At the end there is only
> one solution:
>
> Cleanup the packaging, delete redundat files, rearrange how the install
> files will be packed, think new how the installation on the users-side
> could be done.

I have some items to add:

- The installer packages should be modulized to allow the selection of
parts (already done but we shouldn't forget to work on this)
- Localizations should be separated from the binaries (soffice.bin,
libs, resfiles). Maybe it's a good idea to separate language packs from
the installer and that localizations are not part of the base
installation package (this can solve parts of the INFRA issues)
- The installer structure should allow small updatable packages (we
already had this for MSI, MSP files). We should think about designing a
more heterogenous approach for introducing a patch based update process.
- Documentation might be divided into parts that link to the soffice
instance (via HelpIDs) and into parts that allow intermediate updates
without interfering with the application logic. This would allow a
continous development process for those who like to work on
documentation items.

Just my 2 Euro Cents...

Joost