incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Keith N. McKenna" <keith.mcke...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: File: readme.xrm
Date Mon, 22 Oct 2012 16:00:42 GMT
jan iversen wrote:
> As far as I can see on the usage are your assumption correct, and there
> must be other ways to make different readme text platform dependent.
>
> Would it not be ok, to have one readme for all platforms, and in the text
> mention the specics ?
>
> janI
>
> On 22 October 2012 13:34, J├╝rgen Schmidt <jogischmidt@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 10/21/12 2:16 PM, jan iversen wrote:
>>> There is exactly one file with extension .xrm
>>>
>>> main/read_license_oo/docs/readme/readme.xrm
>>>
>>> is there a reason (apart from history) for it being in .xrm or could it
>> be
>>> converted to e.g. .xhp ?
>>>
>>> If so we could get rid of one more conversion tool (read: does not need
>>> be converted to new code).
>>>

>> I am not sure if xhp would be a good option here. But we can probably
>> switch to something else. Maybe a common readme file that gets extended
>> with platform specific portions from other files. When I remember it
>> correctly the xrm files contains the content for the readme file and
>> depending on the platform different content is extracted from this file.
>>
>> Juergen

Jan;

That may indeed be one way to do it. My concern is that users will get
frustrated trying to wade through the info for the other platforms and
just not bother with it at all. Of course based on the way they read the
release notes they probably don't read it anyway. Be that as it may do
we want to give them another reason not to read it and possible miss
pertinent information.

Regards
Keith