incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Initiate a Contest for Branding of 4.0
Date Fri, 26 Oct 2012 17:41:04 GMT

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 26, 2012, at 9:59 AM, Graham Lauder <yo@apache.org> wrote:

> On Friday 26 Oct 2012 11:04:46 Rob Weir wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 4:36 AM, Graham Lauder <g.a.lauder@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> The launch of 4.0 is a unique opportunity in the life of AOO both now
>>> and
>>> far into the future.
>>>
>>> The branding needs to position us in the market place, be distinctive
>>> and
>>> unique and makes a statement about the product.
>>>
>>> The creation of this requires a skillset that we do not have an over
>>> abundance of in the project.
>>>
>>> The proposal therefore is to initiate a contest to create this new
>>> branding, this would have multiple benefits in terms of community
>>> outreach, marketing and raising brand awareness.
>>>
>>> The contest would be source of the eventual branding of AOO 4.0
>>
>> +1
>>
>> The devil is in the details, but I think a contest can be a great way
>> of getting many ideas, but also promoting AOO 4.0.  It makes it "an
>> event".
>>
>> I think Dave mentioned that another Apache project had a logo contest
>> and received a large number of entries.
>
> Which is why we go with "Branding", it's much broader than just a graphic
> logo.  there's color pallet, overall style, message, tenor, presentation.
> Those who just present a logo in isolation will be filtered early.  Those that
> have a grasp of the full depth of the brand but without the whole package will
> show early which is why we go back to the responders for more detail later on.
> Initial  proposals will to show understanding of the task first up.

For Apache Flex there were over 50 submissions of varying quality, style and presentation
including a video. Everything was handled on the dev list. There was an understanding that
branding would be involved. There were two rounds of voting and the community and the PPMC
were in close agreement. The PPMC chose the community's second choice, but it was a very close
second.

The licensing required was made clear and the submissions were gathered on the podling site.

For this contest we should be very clear  about the contexts that submissions should show.
Site, splash screen, tshirt, etc.

Regards,
Dave

>>> The process would be:
>>>
>>> Formulate a RFP with contest details and guidelines (these would include
>>> the product name and a reasonable outline of our target markets),
>>> timeframe, methodologies of presentation and breadth of branding
>>> elements.
>>>
>>> Perhaps sound out some sponsors for a prize
>>>
>>> Filter responses for eligibility according to the initial criteria
>>>
>>> Filter responses for global appropriateness
>>>
>>> Filter responses for target market relevance
>>
>> It will be important that this filtering is done in a way that
>> everyone sees as fair.  Who judges "global appropriateness", for
>> example?
>>
>> One way might be to appoint a judging panel.
>
> Indeed, although "judging" is probably not the best description, I just can't
> think of a better one.  The initial filtering is done on purely objective
> criteria laid out in the RFP.  Global appropriateness is a minefield I agree,
> but hopefully we have a broad enough cultural awareness on our L10n list to
> help us avoid any clumsy gaffs.
>

>>> Communicate with the creators of this first shortlist to get them to
>>> sell
>>> their idea
>>>
>>> Shortlist to a dozen or less based on function (ie usability across
>>> multiple media)
>>
>> For maximum impact we could have blog post and social media campaign
>> to promote the short list of logos and drive traffic to the survey.
>
> +1 good plan, as Ian was saying initial target will be Design Colleges and
> oither such educational institutions.  Any others that may be interested could
> be reached by community contact.  The initial contact will ideally be
> concentrated, so we publicise that the RFP will be available on a  specific
> date and the submissions will close on another date.  Otherwise it will drag
> on.
>
> Experience shows however that logos will continue to come long past the
> closing as people seem to think that their new version is greater than
> anything that has come before and that the whole process will be dumped just
> so we can bathe in the light at the feet of the new Michaelangelo!  :)
>
> Cheers
> GL
>

>>> Create a survey to gauge general public impressions/feelings with regard
>>> to certain branding criteria: Uniqueness, Impact, Impression and
>>> Representation.
>>>
>>> Reduce and Repeat.
>>>
>>> If no clear "winner" emerges then PMC becomes the tiebreaker
>>>
>>> Lazy consensus 5 days seeing as how the weekend is nearly upon us
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> GL