incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Holgate <jim_holg...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Bringing social capabilities into the core SDK
Date Mon, 29 Oct 2012 02:54:20 GMT

Really, what I would like to see is a security warning on extensions that invoke external
processes, write files, or connect to the Internet, similar to what Android does when you
try to install an application from the Android marketplace.
In its present release, LibreOffice is blacklisted when you try to install or run it in Apple
OSX mountain lion. In part, this may be due to a security concern that extensions can run
arbitrary code without warnings. In the future, OpenOffice and its variants may face increasing
restrictions.
Most people go ahead and install the Android Applications in spite of the warnings. At least
they have been given the opportunity for informed consent.