incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Policy question: How to link to books about OpenOffice?
Date Mon, 08 Oct 2012 19:38:11 GMT
On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 6:24 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org> wrote:
> On 02/10/2012 Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>> One way to think of it is to treat the publisher or author (for
>> self-published books) as the "consultant" in the terms of the policy.
>> They are the ones providing the service, via their book.  So we would
>> allow linking to the author's website or the publisher's website...
>>
>> Otherwise, same criteria as consultants -- factual list, respect
>> trademark, impartial,  rel="nofollow", etc.
>> Does this make sense?
>

> Yes, nice idea. Another difference would be that we probably want to keep
> books listed indefinitely, while we might want to enforce some (long-term)
> "renewal process" for consultants if we notice that records tend to become
> outdated.

I took a look on Amazon (the U.S. website, in case it differs by
country), and I see the following books published since June 2012.
This is just the ones that mention "OpenOffice" in the title:

Sept 29:   A Conceptual Guide to OpenOffice.org 3 [Kindle Edition]
Gabriel Gurley

Sept. 27:  Practical Open Source Office: LibreOffice(TM) and Apache
OpenOffice [Paperback] June Jamrich Parsons

Sept 22:  How to create your own e-books with OpenOffice / LibreOffice
[Kindle Edition] S├ębastien Cismondo

Sept 1: Navigate - OpenOffice Writer [Kindle Edition] KMG Publishing Limited

Sept 1: OpenOffice 3.4 [Paperback] Winfried Seimert

Aug 22: OpenOffice Impress [Paperback] Niek Yoan (Editor)

July 11:  Getting Started with OpenOffice (LibreOffice): The Free
Replacement for Microsoft Office [Kindle Edition] Rob Spahitz

June 29: Jambo OpenOffice [Paperback] Jesse Russell (Editor), Ronald
Cohn (Editor)

June 28:  Getting Started with OpenOffice.org 3 [Kindle Edition] OOo
Authors (Author)

June 11:  OpenOffice.org XML [Paperback] Jesse Russell (Editor),
Ronald Cohn (Editor)

I think that is more books on OpenOffice in that time frame than we've
done blog posts!

Of course, things might not be what they seem.  That's why I'm
hesitant to just list every book that is published.  Some of these
might just be reprints by 3rd parties of existing material that is
already public on the web under a CC or other free documentation
license.  Two of them look like print outs of Wikipedia articles.  But
still there appear to be some real books here, short format e-books as
well as full-length paperbacks.

So what should we do?  List all of these (plus the others from earlier
in 2012) ?   List them only when requested (like we do with
consultants)?  List them but screen out ones that we consider to be
"low value", e.g., an identical reprint of a free eBook?

-Rob