incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Help us brainstorm ideas for Apache OpenOffice 4.0
Date Mon, 01 Oct 2012 16:53:10 GMT
On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 3:12 PM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 9:27 AM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

>>> This brainstorming has been ongoing for 3 weeks now.  So far, so good.
>>>  The latest stats are:
>>>
>>> 533 people have submitted 456 ideas and cast 6,491 votes
>>>

>> Today, a week later:  633 users - 527 ideas - 7,607 votes
>>

> And two days later, with no additional promotion other than placing a
> link on the home page, and we're at:
>
> ===> 807 people have submitted 652 ideas and cast 9,358 votes
>
> So we're still getting a good amount of visits and even new ideas.  I
> encourage everyone to review the new ideas as they come in.  Ideas are
> important, of course, but the collective rating of ideas is the key.
>
> As planned, I'll start to wrap this up on October 1st, next Tuesday.

Final count was:

1,095 people have submitted 885 ideas and cast 13,019 votes

So still coming in strong, though I detect a good amount of repetition
at this point.

I've exported a CSV snapshot of the results and checked it into SVN here:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ooo/pmc/brainstorming/google-moderator.csv

It imports into OpenOffice well, if you configure to use commas as the
delimiter in the import dialog.  It has all of the ideas submitted, in
all of the categories, as well as per-idea positive and negative vote
totals.

I don't see any way to pause the Google Moderator instance or tell it
to stop allowing new submissions.  I put a comment on the homepage of
our "series" saying we were done and thanking those who had taken the
time to submit or rate ideas:

http://www.google.com/moderator/#16/e=2011d5

We do have the option of deleting the series altogether.  Otherwise
we're going to continue getting new ideas.  But is that a bad thing?
It is if no one from the project is monitoring it.  But "continuous
brainstorming" might have some value if we stay engaged with it.  On
the other hand, if it becomes a routine thing then it will confuse
some users between when they use Bugzilla (which also has a voting
mechanism) versus Google Moderator.  IMHO we should delete our
Moderator page, but set up a new one in the future if we want to do a
period of concentrated brain storming.  Maybe a more focused topic
next time.

So unless anyone really wants to see us keep that instance up, I'll
delete it next Monday.  (And remember we have a snapshot of all the
data in a CSV file in Subversion).

Regards,

-Rob