incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RELEASE] Releasing new languages for 3.4.1
Date Sat, 27 Oct 2012 01:55:13 GMT
On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 7:48 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Oct 26, 2012, at 12:07 AM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> ...  it would probably allow to skip the release process and voting, since we would
merely be adding 3-5 binary artifacts (built for different platforms).

> It is an interesting question if we should only vote for source releases. Certainly these
are the only "official" release. I think that the practice is to vote for binary packages
as well. Clearly those have a different bar. It is worth discussing, but I am inclined to
think that we do need to VOTE on these packages, but in this case we are voting at a certain
level of trust for the packager and translations.

But the point is we need to release the source that the binaries
depend on, where that source is from this project.

It would be one thing if we were just releasing a new platform port of
existing source packages.  But we're not.

We're talking about new translations resources, where such resources
are in SVN and are required as part of the build process in order to
build the localized binaries.  No downstream consumer of the source
will be able to build these localizations without having access to the
translated resources.  Therefore these resources should be reviewed,
voted on and released.

Remember, the translations are non-trivial creative works,
translations of not only UI strings, but larger text passages from the
help files.  They are under copyright and made available under
license.  So we need to do our due diligence via the release process
before we distribute such materials.

-Rob