incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: discussion on new l10n workflow
Date Wed, 17 Oct 2012 14:12:26 GMT
On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 9:36 AM, jan iversen <jancasacondor@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks
>
> I did not see that file, that is what I want to make available for each
> language and in .po (or .xliff) format so it can be used in the editors.
>
> Talking about en-US I have a couple of questions (which you may have
> discussed in the past)
>
> 1) there are no translation to US, meaning that they are stuck with the en
> version (color = colour), is that design or just so happens ?
> 2) I am used to an en translation as well. Because developers are highly
> motivated but not necessarily brilliant at end-user language)

We have a en_UK translation.  But no special en_US translation.  We've
been using the base strings as essentially the generic English
version.  Any discrepancies are unintentional.  The initial strings
are written by programmers, and most are not native English speakers.
It is perhaps worth a review of these strings for internal consistency
as well as spell checking.