incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RELEASE] Releasing new languages for 3.4.1
Date Fri, 26 Oct 2012 12:19:05 GMT
On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 3:07 AM, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org> wrote:
> It is now clear that, thanks to new volunteers now coordinating on ooo-l10n,
> we will soon be in a position to add 3-5 new languages to Apache OpenOffice.
>
> It is also clear that at the moment we have no demand for a 3.4.2 with
> critical bugfixes because... well, 3.4.1 does not have critical bugs. And
> releasing 3.4.2 only to add new languages seems definitely overkill: 80% of
> the work would be wasted, we would need a new vote and so on.
>
> So, what's the best way to get those new languages released?
>

A few options:

1) release new languages via lang packs only for now

2) release full installs, but for only these new languages

3) wait until next planned release (or unplanned release if we find we
need a 3.4.2)

Can we really skip the release process?  PO files == source, right?
Maybe it is not C++ code, but it is something like "source resources".
 Maybe a question for legal-discuss if we're not certain.

However in options 1 or 2 maybe we can do something lightweight, like
release a source package of only the new PO files, or even a diff that
can be applied to the base 3.4.1 source package?

Another thing to consider is that we could very easily get another 5
languages next month.  Once we get the volunteer program up and
running, and promote it, I expect these will come in at a rapid pace.
How do we want to handle this on an ongoing basis?  New point release
for every new language?  Every 5 new languages?  It is certainly good
for volunteers to get the encouragement of a fast turnaround for their
work.  But this is the same for a C++ programmer.  But if a programmer
adds a new feature to the trunk they still need to wait several months
for it to be released.

In the end, I wonder whether the best solution is to get into a steady
release cycle of quarterly releases (every 3 or 4 months)?  That way
we never need to wait very long to release new features or
translations or bug fixes.

-Rob

> Would a checkout of the 3.4.1 tag, where we replace the language files for
> those 3-5 languages and then build, work as an interim solution? I honestly
> don't like it very much (it's of course better than committing to a tag, but
> still not clean), but it would probably allow to skip the release process
> and voting, since we would merely be adding 3-5 binary artifacts (built for
> different platforms).
>
> Any better solutions? Wait for the moment when a 3.4.2 is needed? Picking
> some bugfixes and forcing a 3.4.2 soon?
>
> Regards,
>   Andrea.

Mime
View raw message