incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Rob Weir <>
Subject Re: [RELEASE] Releasing new languages for 3.4.1
Date Fri, 26 Oct 2012 21:35:59 GMT
On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 5:06 PM, Marcus (OOo) <> wrote:
> Am 10/26/2012 07:43 PM, schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
>> Rob Weir wrote:
>>> 1) release new languages via lang packs only for now
>>> 2) release full installs, but for only these new languages
>> I don't see a big difference between a langpack and a full install in
>> this case, so I'd go for full installs, unless releasing langpacks helps
>> in communicating that these are "late" additions and that full installs
>> will come with the next release.
>>> Can we really skip the release process? PO files == source, right?
>> Yes, not exactly but quite (PO files are not taken verbatim into source,
>> but they are imported and influence resource files which are in the
>> source tree).
>>> Maybe a question for legal-discuss if we're not certain.
>> If in the end we have consensus on releasing new languages for 3.4.1
>> instead of making a new release, indeed we will ask.
>>> How do we want to handle this on an ongoing basis? New point release
>>> for every new language? Every 5 new languages? It is certainly good
>>> for volunteers to get the encouragement of a fast turnaround for their
>>> work. But this is the same for a C++ programmer.
>> There are big differences here, that are also the reason for me to
>> consider releasing these new languages as soon as possible:
>> - A translation is often done by a team; if we can publish it
>> immediately, the team can the be involved in other activities like
>> revamping the N-L website, local promotion and so on; if we wait too
>> much, we risk to have no volunteers for the following release.
> Really? I'm not that convinced that this would happen. When we communicate
> from the beginning when new loalizations will be released then everybody
> should be able to understand and handle this.
>> - Releasing a new language is totally risk-free: a new language can't
>> break functionality in OpenOffice, while any feature could have bugs and
>> needs more qualified testing.
> Besides the comment from Jan I remember a case from the old OOo project.
> There were some translations for the names of Calc functions that got the
> same name but had to get (slightly) different names. The result was that
> there were 2-3 sum, 2-3 average, etc. functions. This was also - more or
> less the only - reason for another respin for a OOo RC; 3.2.1, 3.3.0, I
> don't remember anymore.
> So, the risk of new languages may not be high but I wouldn't say it's
> totally risk-free.

Certainly the risk is reduced.  But there are two areas:

1) Risk of defects caused by interaction between the core product and
the translated strings

2) Risk of a "bad build", for whatever reason, say due to change in a
system library, leading to an undetected new defect.

>>> In the end, I wonder whether the best solution is to get into a steady
>>> release cycle of quarterly releases (every 3 or 4 months)?
> +1
> IMHO a regular release schedule is a very good idea. Then everybody can cope
> with this, can see when the next version will come and we can plan with a
> regular release plan (when to branch, freeze, localize, etc.).
> Of course the timeframe will need some discussions to find the right one.
> Previously it was tried to release every 6 months a new major release and
> every 6 months a point release. So, with overlapping there was a new release
> every 3 month. Maybe a good timeframe to continue?

Did you do betas for all releases?  Or only major ones?  Or was this a
case-by-case decision?

We have the ability to do betas if we want.  From an Apache
perspective they would still be releases, but we could set the right
expectations with users.  For example, we wouldn't send update
notifications for beta releases.

>> This could be a solution too. In this case we would have the problem of
>> choosing what to translate (3.4 or 3.5? probably we would ask new
>> volunteers to focus on strings that will be in the next release, even
>> though they aren't frozen yet).
> In any case we should continue to release new languages; regardless if major
> or point versions.
> Marcus

View raw message