incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS]: next step towards graduation
Date Tue, 09 Oct 2012 10:56:40 GMT
On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 2:35 AM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Oct 8, 2012, at 9:06 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 10:59 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton <orcmid@apache.org> wrote:
>>> The proposed PMC chair is not an officer of the PPMC.  The PPMC has no chair.
>>>
>>> I suppose the updated graduation resolution would need to be balloted here.
Then the IPMC can vote on it on their list for graduation.

>>> Also, all of the things that a PPMC is supposed to have been done need to be
checked off somewhere - on the podling status page, I expect.

>>> Meanwhile ...
>>>

>>> Different question.
>>>
>>> I nose around in the Symphony code from time to time and I notice there is no
reflection of the grant and availability under ALv2 has occurred.

>> We were notified that the grant was received.
>>
>>> Is it expected that something be done about that?  There are files that are
>>>
>>>  - still under Sun LGPL license,
>>>  - some that add an IBM License and copyright under private license
>>>  - some that claim an IBM Copyright and provide no license whatsoever,
>>>    although there is a notice concerning government use
>>>

>> Yes, this needs to be cleaned up before any of this is part of a
>> release.  But it is not a graduation issue.  Remember, an SGA may come
>> from anywhere, at any time, before graduation or after graduation.
>> This is blessing, not a problem.  But the code does need to be
>> reviewed and brought in line with policy before it can be part of a
>> release.
>
> It is still work that ought to be done sooner rather than later. And the header work
should be done by someone from IBM. Who might that be?

If you recall we had a discussion a while ago on what to do with the
Symphony code.  One proposal was to adopt it as the new trunk and move
quickly to releasing it.  Another was to merge it into the trunk, a
much slower process.  The consensus was to do the slow merge.  So the
Symphony SGA did not impact the AOO 3.4.0 or AOO 3.4.1 releases.  But
it will impact future releases beyond any 3.4.x maintenance release.

So, we'll need to take care of the IP Clearance as part of the next
major release.  Where in that cycle it is done is debatable.  But
certainly the RAT scans will ensure we don't release any code with
incorrect headers.  And we should add an explicit check list item for
the next release that go through the other IP Clearance items.

> Whoever it is should be doing it already. There is no excuse to delay.

If you feel this is something you really want to work on right now I'm
sure we can arrange to give you the needed written permission so you
can update the headers.

> BTW - Large software grants go through the incubator. TLPs do this. [1]

Right.  And that processes is explicitly not for podlings.

> I think that not clearing the Symphony grant might be a graduation problem for some on
the IPMC. It will certainly be discussed.

I'd be happy to delete that code from SVN if the IPMC has problems with it.

Regards,

-Rob