incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ApacheCon] BoF session on AOO community
Date Mon, 29 Oct 2012 15:15:24 GMT
On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 9:27 AM, Jörg Schmidt <joesch@j-m-schmidt.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>> The ooo-marketing list is a great place to coordinate international
>> campaigns.  And we have a German list for local events, yes?
>
> Yes, we have a German list, but there can discuss only.
>
> The practical work but needs a lot of different things. First people, but also material
things and not a case by case, but permanently.

> The German community is working on this, but it is also necessary here to address such
things. I think.

>> I think the consultants directory is the best option here.
>
> Unfortunately, no.
> It is necessary but not sufficient, because it takes more than just information.
> AOO business users need confidence in the AOO and this is growing with major partners.

This is standard tech adoption cycle stuff, see Geoffrey Moore,
"Crossing the Chasm", etc.   Business rewards those who take risk and
see opportunities where others do not.  The question is who has their
own self-interest aligned with our interest in promoting AOO, and who
is willing to put their own skin in the game?  Those who take risks
will get greater rewards than those who wait for any given technology
to become mainstream.

>> I see
>> companies looking for AOO support, but they are sometimes too small to
>> interest IBM.  But they would be a good size for smaller companies.
>> I'd love to be able to refer them to a local small company.
>
> In this case, please explain to me why IBM calls publicly to a partner network.
>
> see:
> https://www.xing.com/net/aoo/allgemeines-diskussionsforum-698796/partner-netzwerk-rund-um-apache-openoffice-41041065/
>
> Or is that not a valid question?

Customers don't come to IBM looking only for OpenOffice.  They are
looking for a bundle of software and services and OpenOffice might
enter the discussions as a small part of the overall deal.  We
commonly work with business partners, subcontractors, etc., where
specialized skills are needed.  This includes partners large and
small.

> Sorry Rob, just the very real problem that I see is that IBM does not understand that
small companies can help to open up markets *for IBM*.
> But because the small companies can, IBM should take care of it.

I doubt the opportunities will flow from small companies to IBM.

> It would be good if IBM would consider the experiences of the past which consist of OOo,
SUN and Oracle.

And you might consider IBM's experience with Linux, where we invested
over $1 billion into Linux development, but we don't sell Linux.  But
we're glad to work with partners on deals involving Linux.

> Here on the mailing list, not the place to talk about these things, but I and other experts
know how to act would be to achieve a win-win-situation for IBM and small companies.
> This is not a pure IT question but an business question. (Note: I have studied business
administration.)

>> Suggestion:
>>
>> 1) Take one of the general overview presentations from ApacheCon and
>> clean it up.  Make it into the "standard' AOO overview presentation.
>> Put it on the marketing wiki.  Get it translated into various
>> languages.  Maintain it so it remains current.
>>
>> 2) Start a wiki page to lists events-of-interest.  List event, date,
>> location, link to website, etc.  Project members who are local to that
>> event can volunteer to present there.  Many are doable as a day trip.
>> CeBit is in Hanover, 92 minutes from Hamburg on the ICE train, for
>> example.
>>
>> 3) For critical events where there are no local project members we can
>> check with other Apache members, from other projects, to see if they
>> can help cover it.  In return, maybe we help promote related projects
>> at events we are able to attend.
>>
>> 4) If any critical conference is still not covered, then we look at
>> other options.
>
> These things are true, but they are no real answer to the problems that I have tried
to explain.

> It's not a problem of people, time or money, it is first a question broadest possible
cooperation of all concerned. Not only for individual events, but rather strategically.