incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Marketing events
Date Tue, 09 Oct 2012 19:40:27 GMT
On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 3:24 PM, Louis Suárez-Potts <luispo@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12-10-09, at 15:07 , Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> For 3rd party fundraising, we would need to tread very carefully here,
>> in terms of trademark use, avoiding appearance of affiliation or
>> endorsement, etc.  We can't have an outside group raising and spending
>> money on behalf of an ASF project, claiming to speak for the ASF
>> project at conferences, using a name that suggests affiliation with
>> the ASF project, especially an exclusive relation, etc.  So I have
>> serious doubts that an outside organization, with these constraints,
>> would have much luck raising funds.
>
> Fun to be snarky here.
>
> But I'll refrain.
>
> We've gone over this terrain before, as Ian pointed out. We can manage the care and details.
The point I wanted to make related to the relation between AOO/Apache and the entity.

Sorry if I was obscure.  Let me be explicit.   My suggestion is that
there would be no relation.  Or at least no more than there is between
the ASF and a marketing department at IBM or the marketing department
of any other corporation, for-profit or non-profit who has volunteers
working in an Apache project.

If you or Ian are suggesting something else then you'll need to be far
more clear about what exactly you are proposing.  (And IMHO if you
think you need to propose something on this list, then it is probably
already over the line.  Mind you, proposing it as a courtesy is fine.
But if you think that you actually must propose it and get approval
from the project, then it is probably problematic.  I hope you prove
me wrong.)

-Rob