incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ApacheCon] BoF session on AOO community
Date Mon, 29 Oct 2012 15:01:32 GMT
On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 12:18 AM, Louis Suárez-Potts <luispo@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12-10-28, at 23:33 , Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>

>> That's the way to grow.  Raising money to send the existing volunteers
>> to travel to more places is only growth for the airline industry.  It
>> is not growth for the project.  We need to find people who are able to
>> succeed in a business based on enhancing or supporting the OpenOffice
>> product to businesses and users..  A business based on promoting the
>> OpenOffice open source project is not really a business model.  I
>> don't think we want to encourage anyone to think of making a career as
>> a professional OpenOffice community manager or anything like that.
>
> hey! ;=) Though your contempt for community management is, I have to say, a little ironic,
given that's pretty much what you do.

I don't have contempt for the role.  It was fine as a
corporate-defined role in a corporate-led and sponsored open source
project.    I just don't see the role as applicable in a community-led
meritocracy.

> But actually I agree with you here, in that what would work to enlarge the community
of contributors is not sending ambassadors here and there to little effect but to (and here
I extend the argument) to provide the resources for regional ecosystem growth.

> Those resources are, I think, cheap. They are: website, badge, banners; guidelines for
trademark; wiki for suggestions, additions, and minimal provisions for beer and pizza (and
its equivalents) for initial meetings. In short, what you normally find at a LUG or so.