incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: OpenOffice Developer Room (devroom) at FOSDEM
Date Thu, 11 Oct 2012 21:16:16 GMT
On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 4:50 PM, Louis Suárez-Potts
<oulipo.apache@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2012-10-11, at 20:52 , Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:
>>
>> Yes; apparently LibreOffice had not thought about this, even though it
>> was clearly written in the guidelines that organizers would have asked
>> to merge similar devrooms. So we'll need to wait. The organizers set Saturday as
a deadline.

> I spoke with Michael Meeks (hi michael) about sharing and he suggested that it may be
best to have separate rooms and if it does seem logical and politically feasible to consider
sharing on one or some subjects. No one likes politics but reality is what it is.

Politics is what we make it.  I don't think we should consider
Michael's view to be the last word on the "art of of the possible".

>>> I'm in Paris now and will likely be either meeting with or dodging
>>> (or both) LO entities.
>>> I can ask. They may now know, however, as I would guess the relevant
>>> LO person is Meeks? or Thorsten?
>>
>> Actually, at the moment we are waiting for a "yes" or "no" from LibreOffice, and
I don't know how many people are involved in the decision and who (I didn't see anything on
the LibreOffice developers list, but it could be the wrong place). If it's a "yes", then we
will definitely have to talk, and your availability is very welcome.

> I think we ought to propose our room directly NOW. And if LO wants to share later, then
we can conceivably work with Tias and others to arrange that. Fosdem is fairly plastic.

> I do think it reasonable to consider this occasion as an opportunity to come to a détente
or understanding. AFAICT, the issues that could be resolved by some public collaboration could
have more impact in their effect on the market--in that it would demonstrate to users that
regardless of the flavour, the substance is, well, solid.

> So, let's propose now, independent of LO and if they want then later to join up with
us, fine--unless you end up with more current information than I--?

Andrea has already done this. Details in previous posts to this
thread.  The idea of the shared room came from the organizers.   It is
up to the organizers what to do if AOO agrees to a shared room and LO
does not.

-Rob