incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <>
Subject [PROPOSAL] "difficulty" field for Bugzilla
Date Wed, 24 Oct 2012 19:08:41 GMT
As you have probably noticed, I'm engaged in a variety of initiatives
to grow the community, bring in more volunteers, etc.  One additional
piece that I think would be useful is to add a new field to Bugzilla
to indicate the difficulty level of the bug.  Of course, this will
often not be known.  But in some cases, we do know, and where we do
know we can indicate this.

What this allows us to do is then have search filters that return only
open easy bugs.  These are ideal for new developer volunteers on the
project who are looking for items that match their lesser familiarity
with the code.  It also allows a developer to step up to more
challenging bugs over time.

A similar approach, which they called "easy hacks", was successfully
used by LibreOffice.

If there are no objections, I'll add a new field to Bugzilla called
"cf_difficulty_level", and which a drop down UI with the following

UNKNOWN (default)

(I'm certainly open to variations on the names)

I'd then rely on other developers to help "seed" the database with
some TRIVIAL and EASY bugs, so new volunteers will have something to
work with as they familiarize themselves with the project.

I'll wait 72 hours, etc.

View raw message