incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS]: next step towards graduation
Date Tue, 09 Oct 2012 12:57:00 GMT
On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 8:23 AM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Oct 9, 2012, at 3:56 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

here.  Then the IPMC can vote on it on their list for graduation.

to be checked off somewhere - on the podling status page, I expect.

is no reflection of the grant and availability under ALv2 has occurred.

>>> It is still work that ought to be done sooner rather than later. And the header
work should be done by someone from IBM. Who might that be?

>> If you recall we had a discussion a while ago on what to do with the
>> Symphony code.  One proposal was to adopt it as the new trunk and move
>> quickly to releasing it.  Another was to merge it into the trunk, a
>> much slower process.  The consensus was to do the slow merge.  So the
>> Symphony SGA did not impact the AOO 3.4.0 or AOO 3.4.1 releases.  But
>> it will impact future releases beyond any 3.4.x maintenance release.
>>
>> So, we'll need to take care of the IP Clearance as part of the next
>> major release.  Where in that cycle it is done is debatable.  But
>> certainly the RAT scans will ensure we don't release any code with
>> incorrect headers.  And we should add an explicit check list item for
>> the next release that go through the other IP Clearance items.
>>
>>> Whoever it is should be doing it already. There is no excuse to delay.
>>
>> If you feel this is something you really want to work on right now I'm
>> sure we can arrange to give you the needed written permission so you
>> can update the headers.
>
> No, even if I had the time (which I do not) I have NO RIGHTs to change IBM's corporate
IP (even with the grant.) This IP clearance must be done by someone who is an employee for
IBM. There are plenty of those people in the project.

See:  http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html

"1. If the source file is submitted with a copyright notice included
in it, the copyright owner (or owner's agent) must either:

    1. remove such notices, or
    2. move them to the NOTICE file associated with each applicable
project release, or
    3. provide written permission for the ASF to make such removal or
relocation of the notices."

I'd be happy to arrange such written permission via 3 above if this is
an issue for anyone.  I wouldn't want anyone to feel blocked by lack
of such explicit permission.

> This is completely analogous to Andrew Rist changing the headers for the Oracle grant.
>

>>> BTW - Large software grants go through the incubator. TLPs do this. [1]
>>>

>> Right.  And that processes is explicitly not for podlings.
>
> If we graduate without this then I would propose it.
>

>>> I think that not clearing the Symphony grant might be a graduation problem for
some on the IPMC. It will certainly be discussed.

>> I'd be happy to delete that code from SVN if the IPMC has problems with it.
>
> And then the re-grant may require it.

So long as the SGA still covers the contributed files we should be OK.
 Remember, the SGA comes before the check-in.

So it might make sense to delete the files from SVN, clean up the
headers, and then check them in again, if anyone thinks this is a
blocking issue.  It simply disentangles two unrelated issues if anyone
has difficulties separating them.

> Keep in mind I don't think this is a blocker, but others may.

There will probably be a lot of angst in the IPMC discussion in
general.   Probably best to wait to see what the full set of issues
are and then discuss.

-Rob