incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Graduation timeline: A reminder for project members, press and list observers
Date Sun, 14 Oct 2012 20:18:56 GMT
On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 12:55 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Oct 14, 2012, at 9:30 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 12:13 PM, Ariel Constenla-Haile
>> <arielch@apache.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Now that you mentioned it, the process was more democratic, than
>>> meritocratic: it didn't only fail to identify people with sufficient
>>> merit, it also failed to measure merit (that's why I voted 0).
>>>

>> Isn't this easy to solve?  All we need is for one proposed PMC-member
>> to say that they will, as one of their first actions as a TLP PMC
>> member, propose the former mentors for PMC membership.
>>
>> Is anyone willing to state this?
>
> Yes. That has been my plan. I also would accept any additions to the PMC that the Board
chooses to make.

Great.  Personally I think it makes sense for the PMC to manage its
own evolution.  This is a non-trivial part of The Apache Way.

I realize that the ASF Board has the ability in extraordinary
situations to intervene directly in a PMC's decision making process.
"As a last resort" and "a blunt instrument" are the terms I recall
being used earlier in reference to Board intervention.   It will be
very interesting to see if they think this is a situation that
warrants such action.

-Rob