incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject How many countries has AOO been downloaded from?
Date Fri, 19 Oct 2012 17:44:51 GMT
I've seen some online traffic, on Twitter and elsewhere, questioning
the claim in our graduation press release that AOO has been downloaded
by users in "228 countries".  The critics of this claim say that there
are not that many countries in the world.

Well, it depends on how you define things.  There are UN countries.
There are Olympic countries.  There are postal countries.  There are
countries with telephone country codes.  And so on.  These don't all
correspond with each other. (Look at the complexities with the status
of Taiwan or Macedonia, for example).

The definition used when looking at internet traffic is (not
surprisingly) "internet countries", e.g., countries with an assigned
ccTLD (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Internet_top-level_domains#Country_code_top-level_domains).
 In this scheme, for example, Martinique (.mq) and France (.fr) are
two different countries, although politically Martinique is an
overseas region, or région d'outre-mer, of France.

You can see the complete list of internet countries from which AOO has
been downloaded here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/openofficeorg.mirror/files/stats/map?dates=2012-06-01+to+2012-10-19

As you can see, the number is now 232, indicating that the press
release understated the number.

Anyone who is interested can take this publicly available data and map
it to whatever other country-counting convention they wish, whether
based on UN membership, US diplomatic recognition, Universal Postal
Union, or whatever.

Regards,

-Rob