incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Seeking OpenOffice consultants -- help us validate our new consultants listings
Date Wed, 03 Oct 2012 12:45:45 GMT
On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 9:36 PM, Alexandro Colorado <jza@oooes.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 7:52 AM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 8:38 AM, Albino B Neto <bino28@apache.org> wrote:
>> > Hi.

>> > Certification can be wide. How can we have certification for users,
>> > consultants, developers, I believe this could have shed, or maybe just
>> > for users and developers.
>> >
>> > It will depend on where the project wants to reach, but I think having
>> > to Users, Consultants and Developers.
>> >
>> > Because consultants and User: User who want to teach, increases your
>> > resume. Consultants who wish to migrate to companies etc.
>> >

>> OK.  Let me restate this in another way:
>>
>> If we have a fixed schema (a fixed taxonomy or list of "areas of
>> practice") then this allows us to generate an UI that categories by
>> this value.  So we could have a table of contents or navigation error
>> that takes you to a list of only "Migration" experts or only
>> "Certification" experts.  For this to work well we need a pre-defined
>> list, of maybe 5-12 categories that we can fit everyone into.   But if
>> every listing has its own unique category, then this is not very
>> useful.  It doesn't help the consultant or the site visitor.
>>
>> But I don't want to do anything unnatural either.  If the real world
>> doesn't fit neatly into 5-12 categories, we could abandon that kind of
>> categorization and just have it be a free entry field with no special
>> navigation.  Or even eliminate it altogether in favor of the
>> unstructured "description" field.
>>
>> If we think we'll have many listings (more than a page) then having a
>> categorization would be helpful to the user, I think, to help them
>> find what they are looking for more easily.
>>

>> In any case thanks to Ian for the listing data.  Can anyone else offer
>> a listing?  Alexandro, perhaps?
>>

> Our taxonomy only expanded to 3 'tags', Developer, Training, Consultant.
> Consulting would cover migration services.
> Development would cover VARs and ISV.
> Training will cover certification, book publishers, freelance trainers etc.
>
> It was common for companies to have two or three categories.

I'm looking at the legacy OOo consultants.ods file, which used to be
on the website.  It was structured like this:

- 404 entities listed

- grouped by country

- sorted by country and local region, e.g. state or province

- no description field, only the entity's name and URL

- one or more categories from this list:

Training (or training materials) - T
Light customization (macros, templates, ...) - L
Installation (support, pre-installation or distribution) - I
Help desk services, general support – H
Software programming (on demand / custom) - S
Custom programming (plug-ins, addons, etc) – P

Of course, we don't need to do exactly the same thing, but that is one
example view of the world.

-Rob