incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ipad application
Date Sun, 14 Oct 2012 22:44:55 GMT

.

>> > This reminds me...do we want to add "rollapp" to the porting page?
>> >
>> >  https://www.rollapp.com/OpenOffice
>> >

>> Maybe "on request"?   I think we'll drive ourselves crazy if we try to
>> track down every book on OpenOffice, ever OpenOffice consultant or
>> even every software extensions or derivative of OpenOffice.  I tried
>> to do this once, and look what it did to me:
>>
>> http://www.robweir.com/blog/2010/11/the-legacy-of-openoffice-org.html
>>

> It seems to have made you a graphic historian! :) Not so bad actually.
>

>> But if we set up an "on request" policy, then we just need to write up
>> a page with some instructions on how companies can submit such
>> listings.
>

> OK. Take a look at:
>
>  http://www.openoffice.org/porting/
>
> What would you say about the "Ports and distributions available now" column?
> Should either of these have been "by request"?

IMHO, these are all good.  We're bootstrapping.  But we might be able
to reduce the future maintenance if we add a note to that page, before
the listings, saying:

"The following list of 3rd party ports and distributions is made
available as a service to the community.  The Apache OpenOffice
project does not officially endorse or maintain these packages.   If
you have a port or distribution that you want to be listed here please
send the details to our mailing list at: dev@openoffice.apache.org"

This also has the benefit of publicly affirming that we're open to
adding other listings.  Of course, we always have been open to that.
But it is good to state so explicitly, like we do with books and
consultants.

-Rob