incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Installation patches
Date Tue, 09 Oct 2012 13:58:26 GMT
On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 9:10 AM, Andre Fischer <awf.aoo@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In the last days I looked into how to create installation patches for
> updating AOO.  Using patches instead of full installation packages would
> lead to smaller files to distribute for updating AOO on the next release.
>
> I have created a new Wiki page for my findings.  Please see [1] for an
> overview and the details of how to create patch files.  Note that I have
> concentrated on the Windows platform for the time being.

This is cool.  A few questions that I couldn't figure out from the wiki page:

1) How do you determine what files are changed?  Is this done from
comparing two fukk installs?  From dependency analysis of the build?
Manual analysis of the change logs and knowledge of dependencies?

2) Does it handle configuration/profile changes as well?  For example,
between 3.4.0 and 3.4.1 we changed the default for the "check for
updates" setting.

3) You mention that the about box was not updated.  Is that just a
simple bug?  Or a limitation of the approach?

4) How error-prone is this approach?  By this I mean how much testing
would be required before we release an upgrade installer in addition
to a full installer?  Are there any issues with binary compatibility
with dynamic libraries, etc.?

-Rob